The Laurysen Story
Family Businesses Serve You Better
On this page you’re going to read all about our proud 45+ year history, and how we built this business up from nothing. How we solved the problems businesses run into as they grow. You’re probably thinking, “that’s nice, but how does that help me?”
Here are some of the benefits you’ll get from Laurysen because we’re a family business:
- You’re just a “hello” away from someone at the top. There’s always a family member on hand at our showroom and manufacturing facility. Your questions will never get lost in an endless journey up the corporate ladder.
- Expertise. When you’ve had knowledge passed down through 3 generations, it creates a depth of expertise that you just can’t get anywhere else.
- Efficiency and value. We’ve had a lot of time to learn how to refine our processes so you get maximum value for your dollar, whether you’re buying standard size cabinets or something custom.
- Accountability. When your family name is on something, it matters more. Quality matters, and making customers happy matters.
- Longevity. Laurysen has been around since 1970, and we plan to be around for many years to come. That means if you ever need us, we’ll still be here.
- Our culture of quality. Our founder, John Laurysen had a reputation for quality workmanship that we are committed to carrying on.
Most importantly, we’ve been around long enough to learn that people matter.
From our expert woodworkers to our designers to the next person to walk through our showroom door, we all matter. We have individual skills and needs. When people matter, you create a positive workplace environment. Happy people work better, and care about doing a good job. In the end, it means a better experience for you, the person we do it all for.
Welcome to Laurysen. We look forward to getting to know you. Here’s a little more about who we are.
It's All in the Family
People have always been the very heart of Laurysen Kitchens.
When John and Adri Laurysen first opened up shop in 1970, “John Laurysen Custom Cabinets” was a small garage of 1200 square feet. It was a far cry from the 55,000 square foot manufacturing facility we’ve become. Our staff has grown to a fully qualified and very experienced team of over 100 people.
As with any family owned business, the operation has evolved and grown up. Along the way there were some growing pains but that is what makes us who we are today.
Learning The Ropes
John Laurysen's reputation for quality kitchens grew, reflecting the company slogan "Custom Designed with you in Mind." When John’s children Bill and Caroline grew old enough, both would come home after school and help Mom and Dad in the shop. They helped with everything from woodworking to design to processing the paperwork, which means they knew all aspects of the business, inside and out.
Everything seemed to be going so well. The tiny shop expanded into a 40,000 square foot facility with better equipment. John was able to hire more people, and for years the company grew and prospered.
Turning Tragedy into New Growth
In August of 1987 the worst thing that can happen to a business happened to us. A massive fire completely destroyed our factory. For many businesses this would have been the end.
It seemed that all was lost that day; everything but our spirit. We were determined to rebuild better than ever before.
We set up a temporary plant by renting and converting 3 barns rented from a local farmer. While the new facility was being built, we continued to create great kitchens for our loyal customers and with the support and hard work of our team. The dedication and spirit of our family and staff carried the day.
The official opening of our new 55,000 square foot facility provided us with an opportunity to introduce Bill and Caroline, now grown, to the management team. We became "Laurysen Kitchens Ltd." With tongue firmly in cheek we changed our slogan to "Kitchens that Sizzle!"
Handing on the Torch
In 1994, John Laurysen passed on, and it was up to his children Bill and Caroline to continue leading the company into its 25th year of business. Bill is now the General Manager and VP of Operations, Caroline is the VP of Administration and son-in law Giuseppe Castrucci is the VP of Sales and Marketing.
Expansion and New Directions
In 1994 Laurysen started reaching beyond our beloved Ottawa across the province of Ontario. Today we have a dealership network that stretches across 27 different marketplaces, with orders for cabinets coming in as far away as Bermuda.
The demands and trends of the wider Ontario market have led to some positive changes to our product and modes of operation. It’s provided us with the ability to purchase the most modern machines for manufacturing. This allows us to maintain our commitment to quality as we increase our production capacity.
Storing our many belongings has become more of an issue over the years. Laurysen answered the demand by introducing our newest line, "Klozets by Laurysen". These exquisite closets and storage solutions come in a variety of woods and melamine colours that are built to enhance your enjoyment of your home. It’s easier than ever to have things out of the way but still instantly accessible.
The green movement presented us with another opportunity to move our production into the future and become a more environmentally responsible manufacturer. In November of 2009, we introduced a water based UV finishing system. We also now offer NU GREEN ZERO melamine, which has zero added formaldehyde emissions.
We reached another milestone in our history in 2010 as we welcomed the 3rd generation to our company, Corey and Michael Laurysen.
Corey has an MBA degree from the John F. Welch School of Business from Sacred Heart University. He manages Order Processing and also larger special projects, like design and construction for condo projects.
With a degree in Wood Products Processing from the University of British Columbia, Michael is now our Plant Manager, ensuring that everything works smoothly during manufacturing.
Year by year, we’ve built our reputation for providing affordable quality, and this shows in the large number of prestigious awards we’ve received. You can read the full list on our awards page, but here are some of the highlights:
- We have won numerous awards from the National Kitchen and Bath Association.
- Houzz awarded us Best of 2015 and 2014 for both Design and Service.
- For over 15 consecutive years we have been voted the Best Kitchen Manufacturer by the people of Ottawa in the Consumer’s Choice Awards.
- Our design team has garnered over 25 GOHBA (Greater Ottawa Home Builders' Association) first place design awards.
- The Ottawa Business Chamber of Commerce recognized us as the 2004 Mid Market Business of the Year.
- Laurysen Kitchens was the first industry supplier inducted into the Embridge Hall of Fame which recognized the long term contributions we have made to the Ottawa residential construction industry.
Our integrity is also measured in the quality of our work, our loyalty to our customers, our warranties, and the many ways in which we support the community in which we live.
Laurysen has always been the company that customers turn to when they are looking for beautiful, affordable cabinetry. Whether it is the latest in kitchen trends, a bathroom to truly relax in, or a new twist on closets we can provide the look you want, the space-saving efficiency you need and a cost you can afford.
As Laurysen continues to grow and change the next generation will be building on our culture of quality; the most powerful of all the values that John and Adri started out with.
Through it all, our mission statement will continue to guide us:
“To provide quality Laurysen Kitchens, individually designed, to enhance our customers' home environment in a professional and dependable manner at an affordable price.”